Determining our pathway to net zero
Following our engagement last year of ESG consultancy Adaptus and several subsequent workshops, we have now established our baseline scope 1 and scope 2 emissions (as defined by the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard).
With this data, we have set our targets and actions across three timeframes, with a goal to achieve net zero emissions (for scope 1 and 2 emissions) by 2050 latest.
- Short-term: RJV will be net zero for head offices and workshops by 2024.
- Near-term: RJV will reduce scope 1 and 2 emissions intensity by 30% by 2030 (from 2022 emissions intensity).
- Long-term: RJV will be net zero across all operations for scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2050 or earlier.
Our actions – to 2030
The below actions will enable us to meet our 2030 target to reduce our scope 1 and 2 emissions by 30%.
- Strategy and targets. These have been completed.
- Conduct a baseline of Scope 1 and 2 emissionsInvestigate a range of decarbonisation opportunities and establish a marginal abatement cost curve (MACC)
- Use this data to update our sustainability strategy and action plans
- Energy efficiency
- Continue to evaluate fuel efficiency measures, and implement opportunities to reduce Scope 1 emissions as they become available
- Continue to improve monitoring and analysis of fleet management data to identify opportunities for greater fuel efficiencies
- Fleet replacement and refurbishment
- Continue to monitor OEM timelines and announcements regarding new hybrid (diesel-electric) or battery-electric heavy plant and light vehicles
- Continue to evaluate business cases for replacement or refurbishment of heavy plant and light vehicles with hybrid (diesel-electric) or battery-electric models and implement when viable
- Scope 3 emissions
- Conduct a baseline of RJV Scope 3 emissions and consider updating our sustainability and actions plans for Scope 3 emissions
We are committed to supporting WA’s transition to net zero and to working with our project partners to help them meet their net zero targets.
This action plan will form part of our updated sustainability strategy which will be released in the coming weeks.